Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Nican Mopohua (3)

Juan Diego went again to the bishop, who questioned him more thoroughly and found no apparent contradiction. Juan Diego's story made perfect sense, and yet, he needed proof, and so, he told Juan Diego to ask the Lady for a sign that it was really her speaking to Juan Diego.

Juan Diego went with haste to the Tepeyac, being secretly followed by some the bishop's aids. Upon reaching the hill, however, Juan Diego lost his followers and spoke to the Lady. The Nican Mopohua only transcribes the last few words from Our Lady, which are basically an acceptance of the bishop's demands, instructions to Juan Diego to come back the following morning to ge the sign that will serve as proof, and a final thank you for Juan Diego's troubles.

That evening, however, when Juan Diego came home, he found his uncle, Juan Bernardino, terribly sick, and he asked his nephew to bring a priest to minister him the last rites.

Next morning, Juan Diego went to Tlaltelolco to find a priest, but he decided to go arround the other side of the Tepeyac hill, so he wouldn't hace to stop to tall with the Lady.

Of particular interest is verse 104:
104 He thought that, by turning that way, was was not going to be seen by her, whose love makes that she is absolutely, and always looking at us.

Of course, that was not going to be so, and surely, the Lady came to find him and spoke to him with these words:

107 What is happening, my youngest son? Where are you going? Where are you headed for?

108 And he, perhaps he grieved a little, or perhaps he became ashamed? Or perhaps he became afraid of the situation, he became fearful?

109 He prostrated himself before her, he greeted her with great respect, he had the honor to say to her:

110 My little Virgin, my Daughter the most beloved, my Queen, I hope you are happy; how are you this morning? Are you in good health, my lady, my most beloved Girl?

111 I will grieve your venerable face, your beloved heart: Please, consider, my little Virgin, that a little servant of yours, my uncle, is gravely ill.

112 A terrible sickness has taken hold of him; he will surely die from it soon.

113 And now I shall go urgently to your little house of Mexico, to call one of our priests, the beloved ones of Our Lord, so that he will go to hear his confession and prepare him,

114 Because we really were born for that. We, who came to wait for the painful effort of our death.

115 But, if I am going to carry it out, I will return here immediately after that, to go carry your venerable breath, your beloved word, Lady, my little Virgin.

116 I beg you to kindly forgive me, be patient with me a little longer, because I am not deceiving you with this, my youngest Daughter, my beloved Princess, tomorrow without fail I will come with all haste.

117 As soon as she heard the explanations of Juan Diego, the Merciful and Venerable Virgin answered him gently:

And then she delivered the words that have been in the deepest core of the soul of every Mexican since then. Our names, we might forget, but by God Almighty, we will always remember, and live by:

118 Please, pay attention to this, I wish it remains engraved in your heart, my dearest son: That which frightened you and afflicted you, is nothing; may it not disturb your face, your heart. Please, do not fear this illness, and by no means, any other illness or pain that causes grief.

119 AM I NOT HERE, THE ONE HONORED TO BE YOUR MOTHER? ARE YOU NOT UNDER MY SHADOW AND PROTECTION? AM I NOT THE SOURCE OF YOUR JOY? ARE YOU NOT IN THE HOLLOW OF MY MANTLE, IN THE CROSSING OF MY ARMS? DO NEED ANYTHING ELSE AT ALL?

120 Please, may nothing anguish or disturb you. I hope the illness of your honorable uncle disturbs you no more, by no means will he die now of it. I give you total assurance, he is well now.

121 (And so, as it was later known, exactly at that moment, his uncle healed).

Yes, my Lady, your words remain egraved in our hearts as an everlasting source of hope and consolation.

We will finish the story tomorrow.

Holy father in faith, St. Juan Diego Cuahutlatoac, pray for us, your spiritual children, and for all the peoples living in these lands!

No comments: